Seven Tips for Successful Cotton Spinning
Keep this in mind when spinning cotton:
1. Cotton is short stapled--ranging from 3/4 to 1 1/2 inches.
2. Cotton wants to be a fine lacy yarn so spin it thin and ply as needed.
3. Cotton does not have the rebound of wool. It compresses easily which means the less handling the better. Hold cotton with a light touch.
4. Cotton adheres to itself very easily so drafting a fine yarn is effortless.
5. Cotton needs a lot of twist to hold together as a usable yarn.
6. Cotton is almost impossible to over twist--good news for beginners that tend to over twist their handspun.
7. Sit back and relax while spinning cotton. It loves you to flow with it!
| Tip Categories |